Here are some things to consider if your organization is thinking about starting a direct mail program.
At Harvey McKinnon Associates, we find that direct mail is most effective for nonprofit organizations that:
- Have a clear and compelling mission
- Can use emotion to tell their story
- Have an active member base of 8,000 (or the potential to reach this level)
- Have an annual budget of $100,000 to invest in direct mail (much less to test) to see if there is an audience for your organization.
- Have other income sources such as grants and special events
- Believe in the potential of direct mail
- Know that direct mail is a long-term investment that produces significant income, over time.